Chesterfield, Sofa, Couch, Settee

Page 2 of 2 | Previous page

30 comments on this post.
  1. Dave Ross:

    Could duo or dufoo be related to duvet?

  2. Aife N.:

    “Dufo” might just be a misspelling of duvet. Interestingly, when I Googled this, Dufo means both (somehow) a dufus and a person that does amazing things for their friends/family. I wouldn’t take this too seriously-Urban Dictionary (where I got this from) was the first result; then this page, then several sites offering to find “Dufo” or to make “Dufo”.

  3. Sofas:

    Oh it’s odd that you mention this – I’ve just purchased a top quality sofa set for my lounge and have to say I absolutely love it! It’s a stunning 3 item set, in brown floral design. Just felt the urge to share that :)

  4. Carole Bender-Resnick:

    In Canada, we call a couch a chesterfield.

  5. Chester Field:

    No no no. In Canada we do not call a couch a chesterfield. In Canada OLD PEOPLE call it a chesterfield!! :)

  6. Radamus:

    I agree with the above chesterfield comment; yes, my nana used to say chesterfield, but I generally say couch.. even sofa is pretty rare nowadays.

    The Canadian military has an affection for the word settee, which generally was observed to be an armless couch.

  7. Ross:

    I do not like the word couch and sofa is still used. Any furniture store has signs saying sofa and chair, not couch and chair. And specialty stores are not called Couchland but Sofaland. But I think terminology has to do with where in North America you live. I looked up this site because I heard a Bare Naked Ladies song today and was reminded that they use the word chesterfield.

  8. Kelley Wright:

    My father used to call the couch something that sounded like dovino or davino, almost like domino. he was born in 1921 in the Midwest. I have never heard this word used by anyone else. Might be related to the above question.

  9. Shannon:

    I have family who grew up in Detroit in the 1910’s-60’s. According to them, the dufo was a couch with a “hide-a-bed”. The bed would fold, or “do fold”, into a couch. That’s how it was explained to me.

  10. Henry:

    Quoting from the text above: ‘The term “couch” itself comes from the French “coucher,” meaning “to lay in place,” reflecting the original sense of a couch as a place for sleeping, not just sitting.’

    Is it a transitive or intransitive verb? Is to “to lay” something or “to lie” down?

  11. chris:

    fascinating…. dufo and especially dufoo especially ring a little French to me… similar to the surname Dufour (when pronounced with a French accent). Chesterfield is a surname and after all Detroit is the French word for straight. If anybody has the time and more ambition than I, perhaps some research into old retailers of furniture in Detroit might turn up something like “Dufour’s Emporium of Fine Settees” 1889-1912….. anyway, words are fun!!

  12. Robert Crawford:

    In the rural Pacific Northwest, I grew up hearing the word “davino”–emphasis on the first syllable–used interchangeably with “sofa” and “couch.” Heard “Davenport” now and then, but never had the sense that “davino” was an abbreviation or slang term for the proper name.

  13. Angela:

    I’m not old and I refer to a couch as a chesterfield. Some people may simply becoming Americanized from too much media! So yes in Canada we use the word chesterfield.

  14. Susan Page:

    Growing up in North Eastern Ohio, many of our grandparents refered to the sofa as a davenport. They were more likely to refer to it as such if it was in the formal living room.
    Apparently the name comes from the A H Davenport Furniture Co. Who knows how it came only to refer to the sofa / couch. You can find it used in such a manner in literature as far back as the 1890’s, then in early american radio programs. It’s common use seems to have died out after the war except amongst our grandparents, few of whom I imagine remain living.

  15. Amelia Weston:

    Chesterfield sofa originated in the 17th century in the city of Chesterfield. This sofa is also known as the king of sofas and has a few distinctive features: its rolled arms, the back and arms of the same height, diamond tufting etc. You can get more info from

  16. Michael:

    Yes in Canada we use Chesterfield as well as couch. Sofa is used but it isn’t used nearly as much as couch. People whose families came from England would be the main source of “chesterfield” and it is the term I use 90% of the time, followed by couch. I rarely use any other term for this piece of furniture. A young Australian on a work holiday in Toronto didn’t know what a chesterfield was so it is probably known best in England and English speaking Canada

  17. Kang Irwan:

    Any furniture store has signs saying sofa and chair, not couch and chair. And specialty stores are not called Couchland but Sofaland.They were more likely to refer to it as such if it was in the formal living room

  18. Andrew:

    I lived in BC for 20 years and never heard anyone use the word Chesterfield, ever. Perhaps it’s an Ontario thing?

  19. CathyVergison:

    Chesterfield is definitely an Ontario thing

  20. Gerald:

    My Grandmother had a davenport and a chesterfield with buttons with high back and arms. I use the term chesterfield today

  21. Jackie:

    Grew up in Louisiana. We called our sofa a “deux fold” whether it folded into a bed or not. There was no other word that I can remember using.

  22. Tapeworm_Terry:

    I’m from Ontario only ever heard my Grandma say Chesterfield.

  23. Murray Hayes:

    After reading all the comments here, I can only assume that the terms couch, sofa and setee are personal choices for the same thing; and that Davenport and Chesterfield are brand names.

  24. Bill:

    I was brought up in London uk we always called what we had a chesterfield. The term sofa and settee also couch were used. couch and settee were probably for lying on, sofa and chesterfield for 3 or 4 people to sit.

  25. Harley Shelley:

    I grew up in Portland, Oregon in the 1930s and I only heard a davenport called a davenport.In other areas occasionally heard it called a sofa.

  26. Fliss:

    Well, I call it a settee…….which I confess I DID hope might be a nice upmarket Anglo-Indian word……no such luck…..the humblest of the bunch. My dog calls it BED.

  27. Vancouverite:

    I grew up in YVR and we called the sofa a chesterfield. I also heard settee once in a while. Now though we use both sofa and couch. It would be nice to try to bring back Canadianisms like chesterfield.

  28. Gillian Scobie:

    That would be “divan.” Which is like a couch because it’s long, but it has no arms on it, only a headrest.

  29. Saxon:

    I don’t think this is an americanization thing as I am from AB and just discovered the word chesterfield and no one i know (including parents) have ever heard of the term

  30. Patricia:

    I remember when I was growing up in the Pacific Northwest my grandmother who had come from upstate New York, had always called their couch a davenport, but my parents called their’s a Devan or a sofa.
    When I purchased my set it was labled as a “sofa, loveseat and chair recliner!”

Leave a comment