Page 2 of 2 | Previous page

2 comments on this post.
  1. Jonney Marshall:

    Fascinating, round my way we call wasps wapsy/wapsies. I just thought it was local dialect.

  2. Jens Fuglsang:

    First I have to mention I come from Denmark.
    When you make gravy or hot chocolate there tends to build up a thin “film” on the top when it cools down. My father always called that “flimse” when I was a kid. He comes from the north of Jutland, Denmark and I have only heard the word from there when he speaks his old danish dialect. So could the word be of danish origin?
    I have always wondered about that strange word and the english “flimsy” suddenly came in mind. Today everybody else in Denmark just call that layer “skin”.

Leave a comment